TheRebelution.com: The Modesty Survey

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

He Started It!

I was applying for a job at the local movie plex, and a man got in line to get tickets. He struck up the conversation (thanks be to God, because I was so discouraged, I didn't feel like talking):

"So, are we coming back as angels or demons?"

"Neither one: we are going to be recreated as human beings [I should have said, resurrected], and then we will be judged by God for our sins."

"Well, then it sure helps to be a good person."

"Are you one?"

He wasn't sure.

"Have you ever lied?"

"Oh yes."

"What does that make you, if you tell a lie?"

"Well, it depends on the situation. It doesn't necessarily make you a bad person."

"But if I told you a lie, what would you call me?"

"Well, that would depend on the kind of lie you told..."

"But, in general?"

"I would call you a liar." (It's so much easier just to say it the first time!)

"Okay, thank you. Have you ever stolen anything?"

"No."

He was an older man, so I changed the line: "You're not lying to me, are you?"

"No," with a smile.

"Okay, okay. Have you ever hated anyone?"

"I have strongly disliked what other people have done."

"But have you ever cursed at someone, or called somebody mean names?"

"Not that I know of..."

"Okay. Jesus said, 'Whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has committed adultery already with her in his heart.' Have you ever looked with lust?"

"Well, I'm sure that in my younger days I did appreciate the beauty of some young woman."

I laughed, "We always try to make it sound better than it looks to God. But that doesn't work, because He is still going to judge us on Judgment Day."

The line was shrinking fast, so I rushed to the finish: "God wants us to admit the seriousness of our sins so that He can have mercy on us. But if we keep trying to make it sound better, then He can't do it."

"But we are all guilty."

"And that's why God sent Jesus to die for our sins."

In the end, he was so happy when I went to the window to return the application, but it's his fault for talking to me. I didn't feel like talking. =)

No comments: