TheRebelution.com: The Modesty Survey

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Drunken Parties

Not just one, but two.

No, I haven't gone off the deep end, but I was invited to a pair of birthday parties that happened on the past two Fridays, and the principal participants do enjoy drunkenness. These were my coworkers, so I attended, everyone quite aware that I would not touch a drop of alcohol.

Let me pause to say this: It is not a sin to drink, but it is a sin to get drunk. I don't know how alcohol will affect me, so I stay away from it. I don't know my limit, and I don't intend to find out, either.

Plus, as was aptly demonstrated at both parties, it's a lot cheaper to drink soda!

The first one was held at Applebee's. I didn't quite know what I was getting myself into. The world of coarse jokes that I can shut down on the clock was unabated in this non-professional venue. I stayed silent for the most part, taking only a couple of jabs at one guy when absolutely necessary, but mostly just sitting in shock and watching the baseball game. After a couple of hours there, the birthday girl wanted more alcohol, so they decided to go to a sports bar, and I declined to join them. One couple gave me a ride to the Park Place mall, and that was the end of that.

The second one was held at the birthday boy's house, where he lives with his fiancee and their children. (The kids were with their grandparents.) I had asked if I should bring my guitar, and he was glad to have it, and he had told me that there would be others. His "wife" is learning to play as well. It was "BYOB" (Bring Your Own Beer), so I brought mine all right--Root Beer. I drank all night.

So I got to jam out with some of his buddies, including Jared (also from work). Most of the invitees were from Cracker Barrel, but there were some neighbors and some former employees, too. I had my "Jesus for Jews" T-shirt on, and it got a couple of startled reactions, and one short-but-good conversation. I sang Pastor Dave Dodge's "When I Get to Heaven" and Steven Curtis Chapman's "Remembering You" and Thomas Mack's "Faithful" and Day of Fire's "Rain Song," along with LifeHouse's "You and Me."

I ended up leaving early so that I could pick up a shift for one of my fellow servers who didn't want the party to end. That got me a nice earthly reward. In fact, I made as much this past weekend as I normally do when picking up an extra shift for a whole week, so I am very thankful. I don't know when I'll be able again to be among my coworkers off the clock to speak to them of the truths of God, but I'm very thankful for the opportunities I have had lately. I did have a great talk with a one of the neighbors, who was insistent that the Bible was put together by the Roman church and therefore can't be trusted. I tried to reason with him, but to no avail. Please pray for Jaime. And the rest of the crew, too.

Thanks, and God bless.

1 comment:

Beautiful Sovereign Grace said...

Thanks for all your great posts Josh!
I'm so glad when I see Christians who use their blog or Facebook or Webpage in a focused way to do ministry. Most Christians' web presence is almost undistinguishable from 'nice' secular people.
When I get a Facebook page (no time now) I hope it will be a evangelistic as yours (90% Law, 10% Grace, none of that Jesus-loves-you, God-has-a-wonderful-plan-for-you saccharine platitutes, people who 'witness' like that need a good dose of Paul Washer!!!).
Again, I'm so glad to know Christian guys like you who are not a pansies when it comes to heralding the Truth.

Darth Vero :o)