TheRebelution.com: The Modesty Survey

Thursday, July 23, 2009

Samuel's Ears

So I was lying down nicely, almost asleep, when my phone rang. Thinking that it might be someone I knew, I roused myself, only to miss the call. I called back and heard this odd voice mail message, in which the speaker kept saying the word, "you," in a weird way every time she said it. And she sounded lesbian, too.

So I left her a message, saying something like, "Hey, I know our wires got crossed, but I want you to know about the forgiveness of God in Jesus Christ, I hope you've been washed by His blood so you can have eternal life."

And I went back to bed.

I was almost asleep again, when I heard, beep-beep-beep-beep, which is my phone's way of telling me that I have received a voicemail. I thought, Oh, I'll just check it in the morning, it can't be that important.

"Get up, and go check it now."

So I did.

"Hi, Joshua, my name is Kelly, and I'm sorry, I mixed up the phone numbers, ... but God and me are fine right now, I don't need all that."

Um, you are not right with God if you don't have Jesus, ma'am.

So I called her back! This time I got her, and she tried to blow me off again. Well, sorry:

"Let me tell you, the Lord got me out of bed and told me to come check my voicemail, because this was just too important. Let me ask you, have you ever told a lie? What does that make you, if you tell a lie? Well, if I told you a lie, what would you call me? Have you ever stolen something? What does that make you if you steal? Have you ever hated someone? [No, I could never bring myself to do that.] Well, have you ever cursed at someone or called someone mean names? Did you know that Jesus said that makes you a murderer? [She said she didn't hear me.] Jesus said that if you call someone mean names, you get the same punishment as a murderer on Judgment Day."

"But I just ask for forgiveness, and I know that God is a forgiving God, and I feel that He has forgiven me."

But not outside Jesus. As I tried to press this point, she told me that she had been in a coma for two-and-a-half months three years ago, and, after that, had a tube in her throat, which prevented her from speaking to anyone else but God, and she definitely talked to Him. She believed that He and she were on the same page.

I challenged (gently) if she had heard back from God, noting that she could not do so unless she had been reading His Word. She said that her feelings were how God communicated to her. "Oh, no, our feelings can come from either God or the devil. We need to have God's Word in order to make sure we are getting the truth."

"Well, I have a Bible. I'll read it."

"Well, that's the only thing I wanted to talk about. God bless you, Kelly."

Then I tried to go back to sleep, and the Lord made me come to Dunkin Donuts so I could share this with you right now. And now I have one tract left: I'm going to give it away, and then go to bed! God bless you, and thanks for praying for Kelly!

No comments: