TheRebelution.com: The Modesty Survey

Monday, January 18, 2010

William Defy

So I caught up with some friends at the Egg Platter on Friday night. We were enjoying ourselves in conversation when someone jumped in. I felt led to go over to his table so we could continue to talk, because I just love it when the fish jump into the boat.

William has had a crazy life. Our conversation revealed past drug abuse, incredible musical talent, wayward religious studies, and now a desire to finally set his life in order. However, he considers himself to be a good person, he doesn't think that Jesus is the only way, and he's pretty sure he has a relationship with Jesus--a personal relationship, he assured me.

Well, tried to, anyway. After what he had already said, I set out to shake that foundation. Matthew 7:21-23 records that Jesus said that many people who think they have a personal relationship with Him are badly mistaken. They call Him, not just "Lord," but "Lord, Lord," implying some sort of endearment. I told William that I was highly concerned that he might be one of them.

"Well, how do I make sure that I'm not?"

I went and got Tom T's Bible, because I didn't have mine (gonna need to invest in a truly pocket-sized Bible, but I'll likely end up giving it away). During that time, I believe that the demons started working on William's mind. He wasn't anywhere near as attentive after the delay as when he had first asked the question. Still, I showed him John 14:21:

"He who has My commandments and keeps them is the one who loves Me; and he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and will disclose Myself to him." Then I told him, "You can't keep His commandments, unless you know what they are." Then I held up the Bible, "This is the only way you are going to know."

William had wanted a smoke break, so we gave him one (Vero had joined me and had actually found a reference to Matthew 7:21-23 in one of his college text books right when I was speaking to him about the passage--talk about God-incidence!), and I walked away sad, because I don't think he was really interested. He did say that he appreciated us taking the time to talk with him and that he could tell that our genuine care for his soul was our motivation for talking to him. I know that people walked away from Jesus, but I can only hope that those people changed their minds. I pray that William does, too.

2 comments:

Beautiful Sovereign Grace said...

Do you still need pocket Bibles?
A have a few on hand (some are just NT) that I can give you next time after Team Hope.

I also have a few billion dollar worth of million dollar bills I can give you. They are in my trunk, so remind me to give them to you next time.

Veronique

JOSHUA S BLACK said...

Yes, I would greatly appreciate that.