TheRebelution.com: The Modesty Survey

Monday, February 12, 2007

Back on the field

I know it's been a long time since I've posted, and I probably will not remember all those days that I have missed, so I'm just going to post from today, and move forward. If I do remember something, I'll try to post it here.

But on to today's events.

I'm sick, and my throat constantly fills with mucus, so that I can't speak for very long. Really destroys any aspirations to O/A (open-air preach). But the Lord provided.

A police officer got on the train and was checking for proof of payment. I was at the end of the train, so he got to me next to last (there was a guy sitting parallel to me). As he stood there after his rounds, he started teasing me about my umbrella. The forecast had called for rain, so I took it as a precaution. So, we made some jokes about the weatherman, etc.

Then, very loudly, I asked him about the Good Person test. I went through my usual three (Lying, stealing, hatred) and told him the consequences of all three. He tried to justify himself, but he ultimately couldn't. There was even a woman who was disembarking whom he tried to get to his side who told him that I was right. I was able to announce to the whole train and to the cop that there is no earthly suffering we could endure that would make us right before God. Only Jesus can save us from the Wrath of God.

We had a good conversation right up to getting off the train. Turns out our destination was the same (his for a pit stop, mine for the day). We departed on good terms. He was not offended.

Then this evening, as I was walking home from the train station, I saw this kid standing without an umbrella as freezing rain poured on top of him. As I passed by, he put on a cloth hood to cover his head, but it just was not enough. So I turned around and offered him my umbrella. I had a (for all practical purposes) plastic hood on my coat, so I would survive. He politely refused, saying that the bus he was waiting for "should be here any minute." (yeah, any minute is right!). So I walked away wishing that I had a Gospel tract to give him. I found something in my coat.

So I turned back and said to him, "Well, if you're not going to take the umbrella, at least take this CD."

"What is it?"

"It's called Hell's Best Kept Secret."

"Hell's Best Kept Secret? Okay." And that was my night.

No comments: