TheRebelution.com: The Modesty Survey

Thursday, April 12, 2007

Hmm

So I turned around in my seat and asked the guy behind me, "Can I ask you a question? What do you think happens after people die?"

He sat up very proudly and said confidently, "I don't know."

"You don't believe in punishment for evil and reward for good?"

"No."

"Then what is the point of doing good?"

He said something like doing good gives you blessings in this life. But what about after I'm dead? Nope, nothing. "Though I'm sure some people would disagree."

"Why would they?"

"Because they have religions faith and I don't."

"Oh, so you would consider yourself to be an atheist?"

"No, an agnostic."

"Oh, so you don't know that there is a God."

"No. Can't be sure."

"What would you say to the idea that I can prove that God exists in ten seconds?"

"Ha, I don't think you can."

"Oh, yes, I can! you see this train? It has windows. Your body has better windows. ...The Maker of the human body is far superior to the maker of this train." (Actually took me about 30 seconds to say all that I did.)

"Well, I believe that evolution through natural selection made the human body."

"So that would be your god, right?"

"Well, that depends on what you mean by god."

"I mean, the super-creative [engineer? I don't remember the word I used] of all this."

"But evolution is not personal."

"Of course not. You don't want personal--because then it could get angry with you!"

I asked him where humans got their anger from, if evolution was so impersonal. He said that evolution used anger--the survival of the fittest concept needs passion for survival to happen in a brutal world. So I asked him if he was in favor of protecting endangered species. He said he is. I pointed out the contradiction of his position--survival of the fittest has no compassion for the ones deemed unfit.

He tried to say that it is wrong for us to destroy dying animals. I pointed out that he just made a distinction between right and wrong. He tried to deny it, but a moment later admitted it. He said that he does believe in right and wrong. I asked him where that came from--because evolution has no such concept, only what is beneficial to the survivors.

He was getting off the train at that moment, but he had something to think about for the rest of the day. Please pray for him. I did not get his name.

Please pray also for the professor and his wife that I talked to yesterday about the Good Person Test, but didn't get to the Gospel. Please also pray for Matt, Jasmine and Trent, Roberto, and Tiara (to whom I gave my Bible; she clearly understood the difference between playing games and repentance, so please pray for her especially).

No comments: